Monday, December 17, 2007

...HOME...

I love being home. Is it because it's the holiday season? Mom's fresh delicious home cooking? My puppy dogs? Family? Being with friends that I've known more than a few months? My own bed, my own room, and my electric blanket??? Or is it comfort... familiarity... safety...? Whatever it is, I love being home. I was off last week from Wednesday through Friday, and was blessed enough to have Crew Support let me be on reserve at LAX Saturday through Tuesday this week... So extra time at home! I love my job. So much flexibility! It doesn't always work out to my advantage, but this time it did. =)

Southwest brought me to LAX from Tucson on Tuesday evening. I walked on the plane, being my cheery self and said hi to the pilot and flight attendant that were greeting passengers as they boarded... They were a little caught off guard, and asked why I was so happy to be on the flight... I told them I was always like this! They asked why I wasn't working for them, and I said that Southwest didn't want to hire me... I applied and never heard from them. My energy and enthusiasm are not easily communicated on paper! I was fortunate enough that SkyWest took a chance on me. =) Anyway, Mom took the day off on Wednesday so that we could hang out! In the morning we baked cookies... (when I say we, I mean Mom)

For lunch, Mom and I met up with Dad and Chris at my favorite spot, Souplantation... It was wonderful, because it was just the four of us!!! I honestly cannot remember when we did something as a family, without anyone else, and it was so nice. Don't get me wrong, I love the people that live with us, and I love it when friends can come out with us or meet up with us, but it being just us four was different. A rare occasion, for sure. I loved it.
Thursday morning, my roomie Morgan flew in from Tucson. Dad had worked it out with his friend Dave to get us in to Disneyland for free... =) The three of us met up with Dave at noon and began our adventure in the Happiest Place on Earth!
The lines weren't long... we waited about 20 minutes at the most for a ride, so that was nice!! I thought I had dressed warmly enough, but even after I put on the extra long sleeved shirt I had brought, I was still freezing. Then we did a really smart thing: went on Splash Mountain. Morgan got to sit in the front, and I hid behind Dad. He was wearing a pullover that dried quickly, brilliant! Fortunately, I didn't get tooooo wet, but was still very cold. So Mom, being the saint that she is, said she'd bring us coats and coffee. We took the monorail to Downtown Disney and went to Tortilla Jo's...
We had a fun server, Joey, who Mom and Dad had met last time they ate at Tortilla Jo's back in September... He even remembered them (not hard to forget someone like Dad... especially since he had called me up last time they were there, then called Joey over and made him talk to me on the phone!!!). Mom and Dad left to go to a meeting, so it was just Morgan and I for the rest of the evening. After awhile we jumped on the monorail and went back into Disneyland. We were going to go on It's A Small World, but the usually 10 minute wait was 45 minutes, so we went to find Mickey instead...
On Friday Morgan hung out with us for the day and then we took her to the airport that evening. Saturday I was on call, but crossed my fingers hoping I wouldn't have to fly, because some of the girls I went to Biola with were getting together for brunch! It's always great to see them and catch up!
Saturday night, Abi called and asked what we were up to... Then said that they were having a surprise party for his old roommate, Pete, who had just graduated. Maria and I went and had a great time! Africans are crazy!! Especially entertaining was Linda... 6'5", played for Biola and was on the Nigerian basketball team in the 2004 Olympics... she was getting her dance on!!! That was another great time of catching up with people I hadn't seen in forever.
On Friday, Crew Support had scheduled me to fly on Sunday morning. I went up to Oakland, their favorite spot to send me, and back, then sat reserve at the airport until 5:00pm. I got to fly with some awesome guys based in Fresno, they were so cool!!! The kind that make flying not feel like work. =) When I was walking through the cabin doing my passenger count, people kept telling me happy birthday... I told them it wasn't my birthday, and then asked if the Captain had made an announcement about it or something. They said yes! So when I went back up front I asked him if he said it was my birthday in his announcement, and he goes, yeah, I thought you would like some more attention. =) Hilarious! It made up for my lack of happy birthdays from my passengers on my real birthday in July!

I mentioned in my last post that some changes might be coming, and the biggest change I am considering is transferring to another one of our domiciles (bases) - Fresno. If I did transfer to Fresno, I could probably have a line (which means having a set schedule for the month), rather than being on reserve (on call) all the time. Since Tucson is a senior base for us, it is more difficult to get a line. In Fresno I would have a chance. With a line in Fresno, I could live back at home in Orange County and just commute... and in case you're wondering, I would fly to commute, not drive. =) I have to stay in Tucson through the end of February, when the lease for our apartment runs out (or pay for my part of it, if I leave before then). I am praying about it. I have really enjoyed being back in California for more than just a couple days, and in talking to people I've met up with in the last couple of weeks who are based in Fresno, it sounds like it could be a very good thing... But it depends on the number of lines there as well. Sooo... we'll see what happens in the next couple months... I'll keep you posted. =)

No comments: