Wednesday, April 18, 2007

My middle name

My middle name is Elizabeth... But it would be more accurate if it were "Stressed."

I have been back in America for almost 6 months now... At home, with my family, and definitely comfortable. Breakfasts with Dad. Shopping and the gym with Mom. Home cooked meals. Fun dogs. My own room. Low rent. Part time job. Life is good.

So why am I making a huge change? I don't know. That's the short answer.

Mom and Dad have always told me that I should be a Flight Attendant. Stewardess, as it was back then. Or there's also Air Hostess in some countries. You get the idea. Anyway, the point was free flights. Woohoo. So now, after 6 years of university, a Bachelor's degree, a Master's degree, California teaching credentials signed by the Governator himself (how many people have Arnold's signature??) ;-) plus 2 years teaching 1st grade in Papua New Guinea, I decided to give it a go.

Why not? I love flying. I feel so at home in airports and on planes. I love to travel. My dream is to travel the world. I like to meet people. I like to help. I like to serve. I like variety!

In comes my randomness. I decide to actually go for a couple of the cattle call airline interviews for Flight Attendant. The first one I went to was just for "practice." =) To help prepare me for the second one, later in the week. I didn't really care if I didn't get it, because I would have to move. I'm waaay too comfortable for that. Right? God has a sense of humour, for sure! Well, you guessed it - I was offered the job where I would have to move, and didn't get the one where I would have had the possibility of being based in LA. Now what?

After prayer, talking with my parents, talking with my closest friends, and seeking advice from godly men and women, I accept the job. I pick the latest possible training date, which is 5 weeks away at the time. Now it's only 3 1/2. This is happening way too fast!!! I have so many questions. So many worries. Did I make the right decision? What am I doing? Why am I moving? Will I get to see my family much? At all? Where will I live? How will I afford it? Where will I get a car? Who will I live with? Igo igo igo, as we'd say in PNG.

And so, like I said, my middle name should be changed to "Stressed." Although then, Dad and I wouldn't be REKs. And that would be sad.

1 comment:

april said...

Are you serious!? You're going to training to be a Flight Attendant!? I did an interview with a spiffy company and was offered the job, but chickened out before going to training--just couldn't face the idea of living in Alaska in January 6 mos after returning.

:) Glad i found your blog. We still have to have coffee sometime, i can't believe we didn't get around to that!--but maybe that will be a long while.