Sunday, October 14, 2007

Love is in the air... or the polyester!!!

I have never been given numbers or asked for my number more in my life than I have in the last 5 months... I think there's something in the polyester. Last week, my passengers in row 8 were cold. I told them I wasn't cold... but then again, I was wearing polyester. The guy in 8A said his jacket was polyester, so I asked him, "Do lots of people give you numbers too??? I think there's something in the polyester." That cracked him up.

It is interesting to me... and I think it's hilarious. If you have known me for awhile, you know I haven't been one to attract men by my looks. Not saying this to put myself down, but I am not Miss Cosmopolitan by any means, and I know this. During our Flight Attendant training, they talked to us about safety and security, and said that we would attract people. Yeah, everyone else, not me! Then I got to Chicago. "What does your husband do?" "Do you have a boyfriend?" "Are you married?" "Do you have kids?" "Can I get your number?" "Let me give you my number..." Now, if you haven't gotten that kind of attention your whole life, it is flattering... at first. Then you get to know what's coming. You can see it. Sometimes you want them to talk to you, sometimes you don't. I started listening to music and doing Sudoku on the train to the airport in Chicago. =) That helped. But you can't do that walking around the airport, or on the plane... A couple of times, ramp agents at the different airports we go to have asked me for my number. Then you always see them again. I have had a few passengers give me their numbers. Or guys that I have sat with when I am flying as a passenger - not for work. What's the common factor? Polyester.

So last night, we were in LAX, about to fly the final leg of our trip back to Tucson. There were about four ramp agents standing on the tarmac, waiting for things to get finalized so we could close up and leave. One of them comes up the stairs, and says to me, "we were wondering if you have a boyfriend." I looked past him and down to the other guys... one was standing there looking hopeful, fingers crossed. It was hilarious! When I told him I didn't, I looked past him again and shook my head... there was jumping up and down. Wow. Cracked me up!

Yesterday I flew with two AWESOME guys - estan muy guapo! My Captain was Andy Leyva, and my First Officer was Juan Rrrrrrubalcava (you gotta roll the r). Flying with guys like them makes you feel like you're not working (until you have issues with the passengers), but then when things do come up you're more relaxed and you know the guys got your back. We got to LAX and Andy bought us dinner at La Salsa at the airport. We had some fun conversation and I got to practice my Spanish with them. =) They told me I had "ojos bonitos" and they were like "el mar." Wow! Such compliments! ;-) We had a great time, and working together and laughing so much always makes the time go by way faster.

On my way home last night, I was flattered once more by a guy who pulled up next to me, kept looking over at me, and cut around other cars to stay next to me... bumping his music and cracking me up! In his case, he couldn't see the polyester... but he could sense it!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee - almost makes me want to wear polyester again!! NOT! But you keep having fun with it :-)

See More Glass said...

Well that has just explained the past year and a half of my life!! Here I thought all the girls like me because of my good looks and charm. But no, it was because of my polyester boxers.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Girl, you are too funny. Sounds like you're back on track and having fun. I'm so glad.

See More Glass said...

Yeah I do have a blog . . . just kinda started. But I'm not really throwing the link all over the place so . . yeah.

Team Parks: Jason and Kristin said...

I'm single. Call me, but first, read my blog. Then call me.

I don't feel so well.
Must be nice to get all the attention.

april said...

Rache--good to hear from you! I was wondering how being a FA was going. Hilarious story--although imho it's your smile! :D

Anonymous said...

Hi Pal! I think it's your smile and you exuding all the confidence...probably as you prance up and down the aisles! FA's always look so confident and in control and with a beauty that comes out from within!=)Kathure