Friday, July 27, 2007

Long Beach, we have an evacuation

More adventures getting back to Chicago yesterday! I went home for my days off this week, and had decided to take the morning jetBlue flight back to Chicago so I wouldn't get in at midnight again. Dad took me to Long Beach Airport and I checked in around 8:00 for the 10:35 flight... and then was told the flight was delayed until 12:30 because of (drumroll please)... weather in Chicago! There's a shocker. So instead of getting breakfast at the restaurant at the airport we decided to go to IHOP... mmm... I got the yummy Garden Scramble and Harvest Grain 'N' Nuts pancakes, my new fave item on their menu. Then we went home to hang out for awhile before going back to catch the flight.

My phone rang, and it was Jason calling (thanks again Jason!!!) from LAX, where he was watching the news, where they were reporting that Long Beach Airport was being evacuated because of a possible "bomb"! (Long Beach airport evacuated in scare) Yes, small, quiet LGB that's so easy to travel in and out of and where nothing happens. I started checking United and American flights out of Orange County and LA, but all were packed and oversold... So I called jetBlue to talk to a reservation agent, and while chatting with her about the situation she received an email to say they were opening the airport back up! We drove over and there were packs of people hanging out on the grass and sidewalks... I walked over to some police officers (there were packs of them as well) and they said airport employees were being let back in. Love the uniform! It was crazy, because they were making everyone go back through security, so they filtered people by flight. Finally they let the Chicago people through, then I played the waiting game to see if I'd actually be able to get on! Well, God continues to be faithful and I even got a seat (as opposed to having to sit in the jumpseat) and eventually made it back to my place in Chicago. Before midnight this time!! =)

Being home was nice... I love sleeping in my own bed. We were delayed getting out of Chicago when I flew home on Monday, and then were stuck on the tarmac for half an hour after we landed. But Mom, Dad, and Bogey were there to pick me up! I was ravenously hungry and had a delicious chicken caesar salad when we got to the house. Slept GREAT! The time there is always too short... But I am thankful that I can fly home for free and that I can see Mom & Dad often. I miss them. Tuesday I just hung out and did some errands, then Mom and I met up with Aunt Sharon for dinner at the California Pizza Kitchen. She was back in California from Hawaii, looking all bronzed! =) I'm glad that we got to catch up with her. After we got home, Jenni called us and said she wanted to stop by! That was a nice surprise because when I had talked to her earlier she'd said that we probably wouldn't be able to get together at all this time. Jenni, Mom, Dad & I went to our favorite spot, Golden Spoon (affectionately known as GS) =) for some frozen yogurt. After that I went over to Starbucks to say hi to Mandie and see who else was there. I miss my Starbucks people!

Wednesday was pretty chill... Dad and I went to breakfast at Coco's before he had to go to work. After lunch I met up with B at Starbucks... I love Bethany! We were in the same dorm in college - neighbours for the first two years - then B, Este, Crystal and I moved to the Tropicana (off campus apartments) and B and I shared a room. It was refreshing talking with her!! It always feels like that though... but soo good to catch up. After Mom came home from work, we went to Trader Joe's and then WalMart, where I ran into Nicole, a friend of mine that I worked with at Starbucks! I love it when stuff like that happens. I hadn't been able to see her because she only works at Starbucks on the weekends, so another good few minutes of catching up a bit. Then we were in line to check out, and talking about visiting Larry and Dawn (I also worked with Larry at Starbucks) when Larry called! He was at WalMart too and had run into Nicole who told him she'd seen me and Mom... so even more catching up!

I am finding that even though I don't necessarily "do" much of anything when I travel lately, it is wonderful just to see people and be with them... whether it's helping them move, going grocery shopping with them, or running errands... I just like it.

Em tasol... till next time!

No comments: